Saturday 26 September 2009

Some of my previous work

I thought it was about time that I posted some pictures of my previous embroideries done a couple of years ago. The first exhibition I was in was a bit daunting, as I had only just finished my City & Guilds, and wasn't sure which techniques I wanted to explore. I made a fabric book for my final piece which had lots of hand dyed fabrics and threads, and I knew I wanted to carry on using them. I had also explored the use of 'funky foam' to give a raised surface, so my first two pieces (which hang as a pair) used both hand dyed fabrics and funky foam. The designs and colours are based on patterns found on traditional bags from Afghanistan.



Detail below of 'Afghan 1'







'Afghan 2' with detail below




In both of these embroideries, I have used chain stitch, straight stitch, seeding, couching and French Knots. They are mounted onto artists' canvas.


The other technique I found interesting was making coiled fabric vessels from strips of dyed muslin wrapped around plastic washing line. I went to a class by Helen Deighan, and went mad, making lots of vessels in different sizes, including several Christmas presents for the family!






My favourite vessel is shown below, and I think I want to make a really big one (about 2 feet tall!) as I still want to play around with this technique.




The final piece is the link between the the two exhibitions. I had been fascinated by a piece of antique broderie anglais I found in a vintage clothes and accessories shop. I started playing around with making holes in fabric, with another colour fabric placed underneath the holes.

The group challenge was to produce a piece of embroidery to be mounted on an artists' canvas measuring 30" by 3"! It had to be blue, but also include some orange thread. Mine had a lot of orange stitching, but some of our group just had one stitch.



Detail below




We are now starting to think about the next exhibition, but haven't decided on a title or theme yet. I have a few unfinished items (who hasn't?) which I might get round to finishing, or I might start a completely new techniqu. Nearly all of my work has been using hand stitching, but I might spend more time on my sewing machine and see what happens.I'll keep you informed of my progress!

4 comments:

Ann Christy said...

Your work is lovely Rainbow Girl - I hope we get to see a lot more. Welcome to the world of blogging. It took me quite a while to get going on and I am still not an 'every day, every week' kind of girl. I do like to see what everyone is else is up to though!!!

Karen said...

I adore the edge on the last picture of your panels, My threads came by the way! Relief!

FeltersJourney said...

Hi, I love your Afhgan embroideries, they are gorgeous! And your vessels too - very cool!

Cathie said...

Okay - I official love Afghan Embroideries. Great colors and texture. And your vessels are cool, too. I'm going to try to make one of those. I bought the stuff - now just have to do it!