Wednesday 26 August 2009

Let's get started properly with an introduction!

Well I started this blog last year and haven't added anything since then. Now it's time to give this thing a proper go. As I'm new to blogging, it might take a while for me to work out how to make it look reasonable!

I retired from my job as a school science technician at the end of July to concentrate on my real love. I'm mad about textiles, having a level 3 diploma in C & G embroidery. As well as embroidery and all stitched textiles, I also love knitting and have rediscovered bobbin lacemaking. I can't crochet very well!

I am programme secretary of our local  Embroiderers' Guild ( Bishop's Stortford & District) which is struggling for membership at the moment. We are desperate for new members to join, and existing or old members to renew their membership this year. If we stay at our current membership of 29, this could be our last year, and we may have to fold. I'm sure I'll add more to this subject soon.

I also have an Etsy shop, where I sell hand dyed fabric and threads which is known as therainbowgirl. I love dyeing fabric and threads as you never quite know how they're going to turn out, and you get some wonderful colour combinations which are sometimes unexpected, but gorgeous!

My greatest passion is contemporary embroidered textiles, which I enjoy designing and stitching. All my current work uses my hand dyed resources, including some hand dyed vintage textiles. I am part of a textile group called 'nine', and am currently very busy trying to get my embroideries ready for our exhibition in September. More details will be posted shortly!

I am also to be found on twitter!

3 comments:

Amanda Sheridan said...

Hi Sarah
Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm not a terribly frequent blogger either - life just gets in the way sometimes. But, finally, I'm going down to working two days a week come mid September so who knows if I'll find the time to blog more or if I'll just be too busy trying to make art! Good luck with the exhibition.
Happy retirement and enjoy more weekends in Sunny Hunny!
Amanda

Kate said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Sarah! I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your work (rather than just drooling over your supplies for a change :D )
Kate x

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hi,
I am a techinician in a school in art & design.
I joined my local embroidery guild only last week, it's all new to me! You have some lovely threads.